Saturday, April 12, 2008

Cherry blossoms

So I’ve felt pretty restless the past month. I’ll admit that. Being in a large city that seems endless, boundary-less, is overwhelming at times. Disorientating. Even depressing.

I’m burning out pretty much. I’m done with academia. Done with group field trips. Done with a local who’s never been abroad but loves the US and doesn’t know why. Done with every person who thinks that way.

Unfortunately, that’s almost all young people here. Maybe I’m just sick of the gross romanticizing. People don’t realize that to earn money in the US, they have to be filthy rich to even get there. To even be able to live and eat there.

I’m ready for a change of pace and of scenery. I keep thinking about how much I want an easygoing lifestyle back. Everyday I watch my waistline grow as my host mother tries to get me to eat more and more. Normally, I wouldn’t care that much but here, I feel an insane amount of pressure to care about my self-image. To blend in. And while that sometimes happens, I don’t ever want that kind of blending in to happen. I never want to lose my own identity. I just don’t know how to keep it and not over-insist it. Sui bian. Sometimes I wonder what I’m doing with my life. Don’t we all?

4 comments:

Diego N. Biscioni said...

nice blog

muy lindo blog!

te felicito

diego
buenos aires
argentina

Jesaca Soubi Lin said...

so the Gold Mountain myth is still rampant huh? Dealing with those limited views must be tiring! Recently, my grandpa received a surgical procedure that would not be possible in China and it was paid for by Medicare...

What about you that sticks out?

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are realizing the world! The end of all our exploring will be to arrive at where we started and know the place for the first time. TS Eliot said something like that. To quote the poet laureate of New Bedford, John, you should be restless at your age. Can we live in a tent together on the side of a mountain soon?

I love you.
Sam

Steve said...

Well, if I were you, my life would include staring at cherry blossoms for most of my day.