Wednesday, May 7, 2008

虎跳峡 - Tiger Leaping Gorge


I'm really glad I didn't have to wear these shoes when I went hiking. They died a while ago and the duct tape only lasted so long when the right sole is about to split in half. RIP Chacos.


Pictures from Tiger Leaping Gorge...(really quickly edited, sorry no time!)

The Yangze River


This one was sunbathing before I surprised it. Someone ID please?


View of the sunset from the guesthouse


Random mountain goats the next morning


Found this skinker while climbing back up the mountain after taking the wrong path. ID?


Local woman and her horses

All and all, TLG was worth the two-day hike. The 28 Bends (aka switchbacks) were a pain but offered great views of the gorge and the Yangze River. The first day was the hardest, a 6-hour hike mostly uphill on gravel road and dirt trails. The next day I accidentally took the wrong path down the mountain and had to go up again, adding two extra hours to the normally 3-4 hour traverse and then downhill. Could've been my poor map-reading skills or the lack of signs. Still worth it.

Next post - Meili Snow Mountain.

1 comment:

James said...

I'm going to guess that the agamid is a juvenile Calotes versicolor and the skink is an adult Scincella barbouri. This skink is sometimes referred to as the "Kunming slippery lizard". Great common name, huh?